Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A touch of Irish

March is a fun month one of my favorite meals is very popular on March 17. Coming from an Irish background; although I would really say the family is more of a Hinze 57 variety; we always had Corned Beef and cabbage on St. Patties Day. My parents would also go to the local pub and sip on green beer. A taste I never developed is drinking beer of any kind. But it is good in some of my recipes. Just saw some Alaska beers that I'm wanting to try in some brownies and cake recipes. Okay I almost got sidetracked with the beer! But stay tuned in a few days will be trying those out. Back to corned beef and cabbage - I cook mine on the stove top for a good 3 to 4 hours on simmer after its been brought it to a boil. I like my corned beef very tender. Usually sliced thin or pulled apart in chunks is how it gets served here. If you can not cut the corned beef with your fork don't serve it to me! During the last 1/2 hour of cooking the corned beef add russet potatoes cut in 4ths and chopped chunks of carrots and then at the last 5/10 minutes cabbage cut in wedges. You want the cabbage cooked but not mush...Cabbage cooks very quickly so watch it carefully when you add. A meal made for kings - well I think so! I also make up a small bowl of fresh horseradish and mayo for a side dipping sauce for the meat. Adds a slight punch to your taste buds. I also like just a shot of mustard on the side to dip a bit of corned beef into. But mainly its the veggies that I love digging into! Its the part of the meal I've waited 3 hours for the melting of the various flavors is wonderful. But I have mentioned before I not much on eating meats, just give me veggies! Cooked veggies such as the picture I took just before dinner makes me one happy Alaskan girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Folks who like Edibles